Project Idea: Open garage door with iPhone
Garage doors are a big deal when a mistaken open means precious seconds waiting in the sub zero outdoors.
Current problems with my garage door…
- I don’t know if the doors open or closed. I have no line of sight, so I often close the door when it’s open, or am uncertain if I had really opened it.
- My remote sucks and sometimes the signal is too weak to open the garage door, and I have to walk outside to do it.
- Sometimes I just plain forget after I’ve already walked outside and left the remote locked in the house.
Once I get better at this electronics thing, I’d like to setup a rig that:
- Opens or closes the garage door via an iPhone formatted web page
- Checks the current open/close status of the door and posts that to the web page
I think I could take an existing remote and just mount it right by the opener unit, and then interface this with an arduino or similar and add some basic wifi. Extending a wifi signal to the garage should not be a problem. I’d also have to somehow have to get the open/close status somehow. I can either add my own sensor to do this, or somehow get this data from the opener which must somehow know.
I see that this kind of thing has been done before, but it uses X10, which is expensive and not as much fun as figuring it out myself.